Sunday, 19 April 2009

What´s the best antidote for mawdling?

HARD GRAFT! The eight new brass door vents arrived yesterday, so Dave got round to “out with the old and in with the new.”
 
Which also included re-oiling the inside of the back doors. But I’ve posted enough photos of the faffing about we’ve done with them recently, so here’s the difference at the front:
 
Old ones…
 
010

New ones…
 
014
 
There doesn’t seem to be much difference in these photos because of the bright sunlight! I’ve darkened them both but the pitting effect still doesn’t show up on the old ones at the top, however the dead give away for the more observant eye is around the screws…

And my job for the day was THAT FLIPPIN WALL, remember last Thursday’s “shelf removal” bug? Well this was the end result after I’d took it down, holes EVERYWHERE.
 
We had no idea how bad it was…
 
009
 
I zoomed in on these two in the photo so you can get some idea of scale and damage. I counted 23 of these big screw holes, (I kid ye not). They needed sanding FLAT because they’d made the wood bulge out around them. So here’s the recipe I followed:
  • As previously stated, sand down the wall so all the wood is flat.
  • Wipe down with a damp cloth and twiddle one’s thumbs for 20 minutes while it dries.
  • Fill said holes with wood filler and twiddle ones thumbs for another 20 minutes while it dries.
  • Sand down again to remove excess wood filler, wipe down with a damp cloth and twiddle ones thumbs for another 20 minutes.
  • Oil the wall from top to bottom and wait another 20 minutes.
  • Oil the wall from top to bottom again, and after one or two expletives shout PHEW…!
Final result after some loving care and attention, with a dash of boredom here and there…
 
015
 
Zoomed in a bit, I’m quite chuffed with this, if I hadn’t revealed its original state you wouldn’t notice any “repair work” on this wall right? No magnifying glasses allowed…
 
018
 
Oh, and see the knot in the wood (above) on the left? Looking closer I think I’ve found a smiley face :)
 
019
 
Anyway, I promise no more photos of door vents…
 
Later on after we’d both had time to sit back and admire our work, we went out for a drink and got a text from Liam to say they’d arrived home safely.
 
So de-stressed and relaxed we hovered gently back to the boat, me still with a glass of wine in my hand, (shush). Ah well, only three more weekends and we’ll have a full set…

No comments:

Post a Comment