Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Our last day in Germany, happy and sad

After a slow start in the morning (due to last night’s merriment), a couple of painkillers later we dived about getting our bags packed and making sure we hadn’t forgotten anything.
 
It was 42 degrees C in the sun, we certainly didn’t feel like we’d been here since Friday. WE REALLY DIDN’T WANT TO LEAVE because we knew we’d miss them SO MUCH. We were invited to Maddy’s grandma’s again in the afternoon for a bite to eat, then Liam would take us to the airport from there. So we reluctantly left their apartment, realising that the clock was ticking...
 
Here’s a photo of the front, I took this just to show the style of the apartment from the outside, it’s much bigger inside than it looks…
 
103
 
The view from outside, ah…
 
104
 
Me, Maddy’s grandma and Dave, just minutes before we set off for the airport. The smiles were strained, we really didn´t want to go back to the UK...
 
109
 
Sorry if this sounds a bit depressing (most unusual for me) but it’s the truth. After saying a teary farewell to everyone, Liam drove us to the airport on his own, it took an hour to get there but it felt more like 24...
 
Not much was said and I was quietly weeping to myself all the way, there was this empty feeling in the pit of my stomach that was almost too much to bear. When the time came to say goodbye to Liam I was a wreck, couldn’t hold it together anymore and sobbed my heart out.
 
We both hugged him hard and told him to look after himself, Dave managed to hold it together till after Liam drove away from the “drop off” zone and I ran out of tissues.
 
I think all parents know how it feels to say goodbye to a son or daughter that you won’t see again for a while. But maybe only parents of soldiers can understand the additional emotion it creates within. Especially now we know he’s doing a tour in Afghan next year.
 
Sorry if this post is a bit depressing to read, the flight back was pretty mundane really and we came back to the remnants of a hurricane. I knew I’d just have to work through these feelings. But I was so emotional when we landed, it even made me question whether living on a boat was the right thing for us. Dave finds it difficult to deal with, but can be more much more practical than me, which helps a lot.
 
A mother’s love…

No comments:

Post a Comment