Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Boat Names

Something we quickly became aware of when we bought our boat was that an Englishman’s canal boat is like his castle, ladies too of course. I tried out "Englishwoman’s canal boat and her castle" but it didn’t sound right (even though it should). Each boat has a soul that we owners nurture and take care of like it’s our finest possession, which it usually is.
When our pride and joy of a boat rebels and conspires against us we may cuss and swear, but we don’t mean it really do we? Well perhaps for a day or two, or even a week or two, or even a month or two, depending on the severity of the problem it presents of course.
I’ve also noticed that boat names usually represent something akin to the owner or the boat, or both, or neither. Some boats ooze charm, character and personality, some owners do too, well I had to say that didn’t I?
Take for example the name of this boat…
30
Which in real life translates as “Take it Easy – but I’ll make that real difficult for you.”
I’ve often said TT should stand for “Toil and Trouble.”
As for the attributes mentioned above, well two out of three isn’t bad…
  • Charm: Bags of it, everybody loves TT...
  • Character: Yep it’s there, without being traditional she’s got a contemporary layout, and a warm welcome atmosphere surrounds you when you walk on board...
  • Personality: Overall a very happy boat with a special talent for presenting a "creative" mixture of problems, (nothing's straightforward). Even boat improvement projects get hijacked...
This sort of reminds me of my average school report, which, when summed up described "A happy child with a mischievous and cheeky nature." I'll leave you to guess which two words seemed to provoke a right good telling off. I could never understand why the smiley part didn't cancel out the others :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment