Friday, 3 June 2011

An easy lock, an average swing bridge and a troublesome lock

We set off about 5.30pm yesterday in GLORIOUS SUNSHINE and got lucky with the first lock out of the marina, three of our friends were taking their dogs for a walk. Not in a straight line or anything - they came at us from all angles. However they all sort of ended up in the same place at the right time. So they (and their dogs) did the whole lock for us between them…
 
Just in case you’re wondering – no, we hadn’t waited for someone to set off for walky poos - neither were any humans (or their dogs) coerced in any way. Dave felt obliged to help out which as you can see left me on the boat, in a lock, on my own, keeping it steady, well there’s a first for everything…
 
Dave and Mark the Spark waiting for the lock to fill…
 
009 - Copy (3)
 
Afterwards, Spiderman jumped back on the boat which was a bit of a shame because I got carried away and set off through. I was doing alright too, but had to stand aside for the captain when he started with “No, let me do it.” I gathered that was a vote of no confidence, even though I personally felt very confident about it. So I told him he was a spoilsport...
 
I’ve taken a photo of the swing bridge with it’s own number plate before, but it didn’t come out very well so here’s a better one, sort of…
017 - Copy (2)
R2 BEU
 
So if anyone owns the vehicle that belongs to this number plate, please hand it in to the authorities immediately…
 
The average swing bridge:
 
The one with it’s own ID that isn’t in the Nicholson’s…
 
018 - Copy (2)
 
Tight squeeze for a widebeam…
 
019 - Copy
 
020 - Copy (3)
 
Oh my god, check out them “I’m a cool dude” sun specs, but don’t look too closely at what I’m wearing, or the fact that Dave’s chopped my legs off…
 
025 - Copy (3)
 
The troublesome lock: That’s LOCK 6, it got us last time we came up here and did it again. One of the sluices is chained down hence there’s only one side will open (with the same force as Niagara Falls). So erring on the side of caution Dave opened it just half way…
Which made no difference to the outcome, and still caused a slam dunk…
 
031 - Copy
 
032
 
033 - Copy
 
Of course THIS doesn’t help, a great big crack down the wall with water gushing through it at the same side. Didn’t notice that last time because we were too busy watching the bow go BOING on the other side…
 
035 - Copy
 
After the 180 degree turn in the unofficial winding hole that also isn’t in the Nicholson’s, then going through the lock backwards, I walked down the towpath while Dave backed the boat up nearly half a mile to where we’re moored.
 
Unfortunately I only had the crap cam with me because it fits nicely in my pocket, but the battery had run out so I couldn’t get any photos of Dave going round the bend, driving me round the bend, driving the boat round the bend backwards with delicate care…
 
He made it look ezee peezy, although to be fair the bow thruster took a hammering…
 
The backwards bend, taken from the side hatch…
 
066
 
So here we are today, moored up in a gorgeous new place, basking in the sun surrounded by millions of fish doing the same thing.
 
We’re walking along the towpath to meet up with some friends soon for a meal at the pub, (where the Rufford joins the Leeds Liverpool). It’ll be double busy there on a day like today, so it’s a good job we booked a table in advance, he he…

No comments:

Post a Comment